Taking care of your information
Please read this policy carefully; by providing us with your personal information, you consent to the collection and use of any information you provide in accordance with this policy. Occasionally, we may make changes to this policy so do remember to check back from time to time.
If you have any questions on this policy, please call our Manager on 0208 427 1200 between 10am and 4pm, Monday to Friday or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Who we are
Harrow Shopmobility is a registered charity (charity number 1044173 )
Its registered office is 37 St. Georges’ Centre, St. Ann’s Road, Harrow Middlesex HA1 1HS.
How we collect information
Information is critical to ensuring we can offer you our service of loaning wheelchairs, scooters and other mobility equipment. It helps us operate as efficiently as possible and to make sure our interactions with you are timely, relevant and tailored for you. To do this, we may collect information about you in the following ways:
- When you interact with us such when you make a donation, take a campaign action or attend an event.
- When you visit our website we may gather information, such as which pages you visit or how long you spend reading a particular page. This data helps us to improve your online experience, for example by adding new features, or removing elements that make the website difficult to use. We may also use data and insights to help inform the choice of words and images that appear on the site, in order to improve visitors’ response to our campaigns.
- When you interact with third parties if you engage with us on social media and messaging services like Facebook you might give us permission to access information from those accounts. The data we are given access to by social media services will vary but will always be in line with the Terms of that particular service.
What information we collect
Depending on how you interact with us, the information that we collect may include your name, postal address, email address, telephone or mobile number, your contact preferences, bank details, taxpayer status (to understand if we can claim Gift Aid), the date or year of your birth, and gender (where this is appropriate, your race, disability, ethnic origin and your faith group). This would be for purposes of providing anonymised monitoring information to our funders.
We may also collect information about the donations you make to us, or events that you may register for or participate in.
We do this to make sure our communications to you are appropriate and tailored – something we know means a lot to our supporters.
How we use your information
We will ask for your consent before we use your information for certain purposes, such as providing you with our service or sending you notices about Annual General Meetings and emails about fundraising opportunities. We may also use your information where we have a legitimate interest in order to carry out our activities, examples include:
- To provide you with the services, products or information you have requested, or that we feel would be of interest to you, and reasonably expected by you.
- To process your donations or other payments and verify financial transactions.
- To provide updates on our work and the difference your support is making, as well as tell you about other ways you might be able to support us, where you have agreed to receive this.
- For administrative purposes, for example to contact you with a query about our service or a donation or where you have contacted our Manager.
- To keep a record of your relationship with us.
- To ask you to participate in surveys or research.
- To analyse the personal information, we collect about you.
- To analyse and improve our website, services, products or information.
- To understand our supporters better and develop audience propositions.
- To process a Volunteer application or job application.
So we can let you know the latest news about our work and share with you how else you can help, we may contact you by direct mail, and by telephone, email where you have agreed to be contacted. You can change how you hear from us at any time simply by getting in touch with our Manager.
Who we share your information with
We may share your information with partners, agents or service providers to allow them to perform services on our behalf or to help us understand our supporters more effectively. These partners will only act under our instruction and will not use your information for their own purposes.
We always have contracts in place with our suppliers, which require them to comply with UK’s law on data protection and to have systems and processes to protect the security of your information. We promise to always keep your details safe and we’ll never sell or swap your information with any other organisation.
We may disclose personal information if required to do so by law or if we believe that such action is necessary to protect and defend the rights, property or personal safety of Harrow Shopmobility, our websites or our visitors and for other lawful purposes.
Some examples of the organisations with which we may share your data:
- Our funding partners and Sponsors (who help us raise money for disabled persons as efficiently as possible)
- Transport for London, Harrow Council
- St. George’s Shopping Centre
- Other Partners
Harrow Council Social Services Department
- Our Media, Technology and Analysis partners
- To process donations and claim gift aid
- BACS, HMRC, DBS services
How we keep your information safe
We make sure that appropriate physical, technical and human controls are in place to ensure we take good care of your information.
However, the transmission of information over the internet is never completely secure and as a result, while we strive to protect your personal information, Harrow Shopmobility cannot guarantee the security of any information you transmit to us, and you do so at your own risk. Once we receive your data, we make every effort to try to ensure its security both on our systems and while in transit between our systems and our partners who work on our behalf.
All staff who have access to your personal data understand the importance of keeping your information safe and secure at all times and are given training to support them in this.
We cannot be responsible for the privacy policies and practices of other websites even if you access them using links from our websites and recommend that you check the policy of each site you visit.
We ensure that additional controls are in place for financial, sensitive and special categories of information, meeting regulatory and legal requirements for managing these types of information.
How long we keep your information
We will hold your personal information on our systems for as long as is necessary for the relevant activity, and meet any legal or regulatory requirement. This is so that we can provide the services, products or information you have requested, to administer your relationship with us, to ensure we don’t communicate with you if you’ve asked us not to and to comply with the law.
We may keep information relating to gifts in wills indefinitely so that we can administer these gifts and communicate appropriately with the families of those leaving Harrow Shopmobility a legacy.
You have the right to object to your data being processed by us and can do so by contacting our Manager at 37 St Georges Centre, St. Ann’s Road, Harrow HA1 1HS or by email at email@example.com or by phone on 0908 4271200.
You can request a copy of the personal information that we hold about you under the Data Protection Act 1998. If you would like to do so, please send a description of the information you would like as well as approved proof of identity to the Manager at 37 St Georges Centre, St. Ann’s Road, Harrow HA1 1HS
You have the right to lodge a complaint about the way we manage your data with the Information Commissioners Office.
How to change the way we contact you
We always want you to be happy with the communication you receive from us. If you want to change how you hear from us, or update your details, simply get in touch with our Manager by calling 0208 427 1200 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
You can also change the way we contact you in the following ways
- By writing to The Manager at 37 St Georges Centre, St. Ann’s Road, Harrow HA1 1HS
- Using the unsubscribe link in an email from us
Where you tell us that you no longer want to hear from us for marketing purposes, please be aware that we may still contact you for administration purposes such as about any donations you make and Gift Aid, or providing you with information you’ve requested or in helping resolve a query.
Cookies are small text files that are placed on your device to help us give you a better experience of using our website. Cookies do lots of different things, such as helping us to:
- estimate the number of visitors to our site, including the source and patterns relating to this traffic
- understand how visitors use the site, and how we can enhance this experience
You are able to set your devices to accept all cookies, to notify you when a cookie is issued, or not to receive cookies at any time, although of course please be aware this means that you’ll miss out on some personalised services.
What if I’m under 18?
If you are under 18, please make sure that you obtain your parent/guardian’s permission beforehand whenever you provide personal information via our websites. Users without this consent are not allowed to provide us with personal information. Also, if you do use our sites to obtain information about fundraising, campaigning or supporting the work of Harrow Shopmobility please let an adult know.
Changes to this policy
This information was last updated in March 2023 From time to time, we may make changes to the information on this page so you may wish to check back from time to time. The amended information will apply from the date it is posted on the site and will govern the way in which we collect and use personal information from then on.